Re: Squid 2.x performance curioisities

From: Kevin Littlejohn <darius@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:41:01 +1000

There's a better way to measure this stuff - on Linux, strace will give you
information about how long system calls are taking. A '-c' flag will add them
up, you can use '-p' to attach to an existing process - leave it running for,
like, 30 seconds or so, then <ctrl>-c it, it'll detach and spit out times
for the main system calls. Very useful.

And I agree, by the way, if you're not using async-io, your open calls will
be killing you.

KevinL
(On Solaris, the appropriate tool is 'truss', btw)