Re: Squid 2.x performance curioisities

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:30:10 +0800

> Looks like there's library issues with
> gnu/debian/hamm.

Hamm has no issues with squid (as long as you upgrade to 2.0.36 or so kernel,
or 2.2.x - but for 2.2.x you would want Slink + the recommended updates for
using 2.2.x) that I'm aware of. There are some library bugs however none that
I know of relevant to squid. However, Hamm is out of date, no longer even on
the ftp site, and not actively maintained from a security perspective either.

Oskar quoting MO'R on squid-1.x:
> > More spindles won't do it. Because the squid you're running is a
> > single process, you're guarenteed that only one disk request can be
> > outstanding at a time. So if you have N spindles, N-1 will be idle at
> > any one time.

Hence we now have squid-2.x and async-io and everyone can live happily ever
after :-)

David.