Problem with object which should not be cached

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:50:53 +0800

I've been working with the people who run nillu.nla.gov.au through out library
to try and make their web site cache friendly. It uses cookies, and
squid-2.2s2 doesn't see this as a reason not to cache the pages (a valid
behaviour), but this causes a problem.

What happens is:
  -> using frames, left panel is displayed
  -> after logging on middle pane, left panel is forced to be refreshed
  -> squid returns the cached object

They have managed to get their Netscape Enterprise server 3.5.1C to insert
cache-control: no-cache headers. However,

 * if the object is requested via HTTP/1.0 from nillu.nla.gov.au, no cache control
   header is sent

 * if the object is requested via HTTP/1.1 from nillu.nla.gov.au, a valid cache
   control header is sent

 * regardless of whether I send an HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1 request to Squid, it
   is sending an HTTP/1.0 request to nillu.nla.gov.au

I'm not sure exactly where to go from here. One problem is that the response to
the HTTP/1.0 request shows no indication the object shouldn't be cached,
another problem is that squid is choosing to use HTTP/1.0 for this server.

While they are still trying to resolve the problem, as I have indicated (as I
usually do) that I won't modify the cache configuration to deal with problems
and instead will try and help the source sites, since otherwise the problem
still remains for other people with caches, I really do need a solution here.
Is there something which should be changed in squid - for example, should it
be trying HTTP/1.1 by default?

David.