Re: store_clean.c patch related to USE_TRUNCATE_NOT_UNLINK

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:19:48 +0800

> Whether USE_TRUNCATE_NOT_UNLINK is a good idea? I think it can be a good
> way of keeping the contents of the directories constant by using a fixed
> set of file entries which become truncated when unused.

But you need everyone to newfs their disks with more inodes - is this
really a good thing? We've already seen people on squid-users saying
'what can I do? I'm running out of inodes, why!'

On normal filesystems (linear directories), you're increasing the time
spent in the linear searches through directories and not really gaining
much - especially if the hit rate is high, since you're probably slowing
down the average time to open an already existing file in order to reduce
the frequency of having to open a new file (which is also going to be
slower).

On tree-based filesystems (ADVFS/XFS/...), you could be really gaining
something; these have a much higher new file creation cost and don't suffer
so much from increased directory search times on large directories. So
I think the option makes sense on such filesystems as long as the system
has had extra inodes created at setup time.

David.