Re: modules

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:03:35 -0600

Terence Kelly wrote:

> Recent research suggests
> that policies such as GreedyDual-Size and variants of LFU
> offer substantial advantages over LRU-based algorithms.

I may not be up-to-date, but all improvements of LRU I have seen so far
fail when applied to real cache sizes. Clearly, having caching policy as a
module would benefit a few researchers, but I still have to see a solid
proof that a stupid LRU-TH can be outperformed by a "traditional" smart
algorithm. If you have a pointer to a corresponding article (that uses
caches size more than 300% of high volume daily traffic), please send it to
me.

Alex.