Re: Squid 2.2.STABLE2 & choice of parent [updated second patch]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 21:21:32 +0000

Web server manager wrote:

> QUESTION: It looks as though only one of the patches was included in Squid
> 2.2.STABLE3.

Yes, but not really. Duane took a slightly different approach.

> Will the others be included in a future version, or are they
> considered too esoteric to include in the standard release? [To me, they
> seem like corrections for significant shortcomings in the unpatched server
> that should be relevant to anyone using "prefer_direct off".]

I think they are considered too "big" to be applied to 2.2, hopefully at
least some of them or the ideas they came from will be included in 2.3.
It is Duane who tells what gets commited or not.

> I haven't yet tried the "missing" patches with 2.2.STABLE3, but I imagine
> the should apply unmodified or with minor adjustments, so it shouldn't be a
> problem that they aren't included - but I'd like to see them in the standard
> version in future rather than having to maintain them as local patches.

All my patches are available from my Squid page, and I regulary update
patches to the current Squid version. The current base version for my
patches are 2.2.STABLE3.

> (b) Leave icp_query_timeout defined as at present, but add a
> "maximum_icp_query_timeout" directive which sets the maximum dynamic timeout
> if icp_query_timeout is zero.

I have thought of this yes, and my vote is for this model, or a
variation of it using the icp_query_timeout directive with options.
Quite simple thing to add. Only haven't got to it.

> It should be easy to add a test to limit the timeout to the source code, but
> I am not familiar with how to add new directives, so I cannot easily
> contribute a patch to do this (plus I might implement one of the options
> when you'd prefer the other).

To add new directives you first add a appropriate variable in
"structs.h:struct _SquidConfig {}" (and make clean). Then edit
cf.data.pre to tie a name to this config variable, and make use of the
config variable somewhere in the source (end of neighborsUdpPing() in
this case)..

/Henrik