Re: sys_nerr and strerror()

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:50:12 +0200

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

]> supported by the 64 bit environment any longer. On the other hand,
]> strerror() is guaranteed to return a NULL pointer for illegal error
]> numbers. I don't know if that is always true on all platforms (doubt it,
]> though), or even if it is prescribed by POSIX.
]
]I don't have access to the POSIX standard document, but the Open Group
]"The Single UNIX ® Specification, Version 2" does not guarantee that
]strerror returns NULL for unknown errors:
]
] On error errno may be set, but no return value is
] reserved to indicate an error.

So, what is "no return value"? An undefined value? A null pointer? The
guarantee I was talking about was just an empiric study of Solaris 7/64.
Anyway, would the Squid gurus have me continue poking into the Squid/64?
Not that I have much time left for it ;-)

]The strerror() interface is also not required to be reentrant. Not that
]it matters much.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726