Re: Squid Question

From: John Dilley <jad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:05:38 -0700

> I will research about Page Replacement Policy of Proxy
> Cache Program. I would like to know about Page Replacement Policy of
> Squid. Which part of source code of Squid is Page Replacement Module?

        Squid's replacement policy is executed in the store.c module.
I'm not sure what research you are planning on the replacement policy,
you might want to look at some recent work we have done to improve on
the traditional LRU cache replacement policy, with an implementation in
Squid. I have submitted our source modifications, which will be in the
2.3 version of Squid.

        Note that to implement other than an LRU policy, such as based
upon access count, cache metadata must be updated and the replacement
decision recomputed. This is done in client_side.c. There is also some
replacement related code in a few other modules, including store_dir.c.

        Feel free to have a look at the papers on my home page (URL is
below) for more information about improving cache replacement policies
and what we implemented and validated in Squid. Best regards.

                             -- jad --
                          John Dilley <jad@hpl.hp.com>
                  http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Dilley/