Re: WCCP on Squid 2.3

From: Glenn Chisholm <glenn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:34:32 -0600 (MDT)

> I've been playing around with WCCP on Squid 2.3. My Cisco sees Squid
> just fine, but I've hit a wall trying to get the forwarding to work.
> It seems that the Cisco is not simply forwarding packets, but is
> attempting to encapsulate them in a GRE tunnel (I observed this with a
> packet sniffer). Can anyone confirm if this is true, and if so, how
> do I get WCCP to be useful to Squid?
>
> This is on BSD/OS 4.0. Thanks!

You need the OS to first strip the GRE encapsulation from the packets then
place them back in the IP input queue.

Once that it is done you will need to use transperant proxy functions to
spin the packets about in your stack.

I have a kernel module that works in a FreeBSD stack, it might work in
yours and I will mail it to you if you wish.

glenn