Re: Digest diff compression

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:15:11 +0200

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> algorithm should be "configurable" so that somebody can add more
> algorithms. For example, one might implement "gzip -9 < diff" to get 30%
> more...

Note: gzip -9 was one of the approaches I evaluated while selecting
encoding method of the bitdistances. It was never able to beat pure
huffman encoding. gzip in huffman-only mode came quite close, but not
all the way.

I have not tried to huffman encode or gzip cd_diff output but I would be
supriced if it proved better results for normal digests diffs.

/Henrik