Re: Personal Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 01:38:15 +0200

Yee Man Chan wrote:

> I would like to have a version of Squid that is optimized to serve a
> household (ie only 1-5 clients). Is there any work done in this area? If not,
> would you please tell me what issues I need to worry about and which part of
> Squid2.2S4 I need to look at? Thanks in advance.

For such a setup you probably want a proxy with a fundamentally
different design than Squid. For a personal proxy the memory footprint
is important as the machine is usually shared with other tasks, and
Squids memory footprint is quite large by design.

You may want to consider the Apache proxy module or other similar
"lightweight" proxies.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker