--enable-icmp diagnostics

From: Matija Grabnar <matija.grabnar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:10:15 +0100

This is not a bug, per-se, but I do contend that is
clumsily done:
if you configure squid-2.2Stable5 (and, presumably,
other verisions) with --enable-icmp, but do NOT uncomment
the pinger_program line in squid.conf, you will start getting
Connection refused messages in cache.log, without any other
indication what could be wrong.

A simple check at start up could save someone (like me)
a lot of head scratching. It's too late for me, of course,
but I can't believe I'm the only one who can get bitten by
this. (Especialy since the FAQ doesn't mention the
squid.conf pinger_program setting, just "make install-pinger").

--
"My name is Not Important. Not to friends.
    But you can call me mr. Important"  - Not J. Important