Re: only-if-cached

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:40:38 +0100

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> I may be wrong. I interpreted his message as if his sibling-parent was
> replying with the posted errors to requests with only-if-cached headers.

I did too.

> I was under impression that Squid always appends only-if-cached headers
> when talking to a sibling, and that a sibling would reply with 504 to a
> miss.

It does, however 504 is a retriable error, and the request is retried
using a parent (or direct if no parents).

> So the reason for those errors is probably that the sibling did not
> allow miss accesses. The errors should be handled transparently on the
> receiving side, I guess (subject to never_direct and perhaps other
> rules).

miss access is irrelevant. If the request has only-if-cached then it
will never reach miss_access processing.

The retrial is subject to never_direct and prefer_direct settings. There
may be some conditions when this error message may be forwarded to the
client, for example I guess the error may be forwarded if there is a
false sibling hit, never_direct, and no alive parents. If it is
forwarded under such conditions then it is an error. The correct error
to return in that condition is ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD.