Re: NTLM proxy authentication: update

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:12:20 +0100

Andy Doran wrote:

> - The client replies with a base64 encoded, little endian 'struct
> ntlm_authenticate' in it's Proxy-Authentication field. This structure
> includes the username, domain name, workstation name, NT password hash,
> LM password hash and some flags.

Do you have any idea what is it that makes the NTLM authentication sheme
impossible to proxy? From my understanding of NTLM challenge/response
used in file access is possible to proxy to another authentication
server.

I perfectly understand why challenge encryption stops the authenticated
user credentials from being proxied to another server (like in a ISS
server proxying the user information to a SQL server or whatever), but
not why whole the authentication can't be proxied by a HTTP proxy to a
NTLM capable server..

/Henrik