Squid for NT

From: Eric Stern <estern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:40:00 -0500

Thought you all might be interested. We are releasing our new product,
CacheXpress for NT, which is based on squid. If you have any interest in the
NT platform, give it a try. Any comments, problems, suggestions appreciated.

You can get it at ftp://ftp.indcl.com/pub/cachexpress/

The file CACHEXPRESSNT-BETA1.EXE is the full install. It includes the binary
release of squid for NT, plus the CacheXpress service, and web-based
configuration and reporting functions.

In the same location you can find the source code for squid/NT. This
includes all our changes made while porting including:
- asynchronous winsock code (comm_select.c is 130 lines of code. :) )
- auth plugins are implemented as dynamically loaded DLLs. Redirectors will
soon be done the same way.
- the location of the config file is read from the registry
- DNS servers are read from the registry (not resolv.conf). It is read from
NT's internal DNS configuration
- real-time status update in the cache manager
- changes to the store API, including our new COSS storage system. We
aren't done with COSS yet, so using it is not an option yet in CacheXpress
for NT 1.0.
- support for remote log servers (instead of log entries being written to
access.log, they are sent via UDP to a log server. This enables our advanced
logging and reporting features (real-time reports, collective reporting for
clusters, etc)).
- numerous little changes to handle the differences between *nix and NT
(winsock, file system, etc)

Note: we did a hack'n'slash port. i.e. the changes we made are not clean
#ifdef'ed type modifications. At some point we may go back and make a clean
patch that could be applied to the main codebase, but I wouldn't hold your
breath. If someone else wants to use our code as a basis for creating a
clean patch, please do!

Eric Stern - Senior Product Developer
Industrial Code & Logic Inc. - (519) 249-0508
http://www.indcl.com
--------
WebSpeedWare - web caching doesn't have to be expensive!