Re: possible squid bugs [was: cacheability engine]

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:22:19 -0700

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Duane Wessels wrote:
>
> > I played around with the 2.4 code and removed 'expires' from StoreEntry
> > and replaced 'lastmod' with 'lastvalid'. This makes the StoreEntry
> > smaller, but also makes it incompatible with current caches. Anyway,
> > it seems to work okay. I think we can stop storing lastmodified
> > time in StoreEntry and store lastvalid time instead.
>

> What about my earlier proposal to change the storeentry to only contain
> last-validated and fresh-until timestamps, and get rid of all other
> timestamps (including last-modified).

That sounds like the work I did.

The biggest problem with that is that it makes current swap.state
files, and every cached object invalid.
The StoreEntry timestamps are written in each swap.state entry, and
also in the "swap meta" header on each cache object.

putting such a change into the 2.x line violates our "promise"
that all 2.x versions would be store-wise compatible. People
would have to run ugly converters, etc.

Duane W.