Re: redirecting, and parseing for content

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 21:31:14 +0200

David Flynn wrote:

> Can you sugest any one who knows of a way to do content "filtering"
> efficiently .... as we are only on ISDN and its a large network, i dont want
> to fetch every type/txt document that is requested and parse it ... its tooo
> inefficient .... and then i need to redirect the url ...

You must fetch the document to be able to do content filtering, else you
can only block based on the URL. So first you have to decide on what you
actually want to acheive here.

Extending Squid to perform this kind of filtering should not be that
hard, but it has to be done in-process. Squid is capable to buffer up to
16KB before sending anything to the client and it should not be that
hard to plug content filtering into this.

It is probably about time to add a set of access controls based on the
response (both headers and initial body content).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker