Aus patent on proxy filtering

From: Dancer Vesperman <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:02:21 +1000

This just landed on me. A quick skim will show you why I'm panicking. I
am endeavoring to get a copy of the patent application so that we can
lodge a procedurally correct formal prior art claim....before the
deadline (4pm today...less than 8 hours from now)

Motorola's patent (being filed in Australia....non-Australian
squid-devers, please check the USA office) appears to cover methods of
performing request filtering in a proxy, by IP (destination and source),
port, browser identification and format and content of the request.

I would be very glad of any specifics (with dates) that could be
provided to help bolster the case. I'll try to pass on the full claim as
soon as I have it in my hands.

> We have received advice from our patent attorneys that we will are
likely
> to be found to be infringing a patent which Motorola is currently
trying
> to register, should that registration be successful. We have 1 day to

> file a Notice of Opposition, which we are likely to do tomorrow, after

> some preliminary inquiries as to whether Motorola's product was new
and
> inventive as at 24 January 1997. One way to ascertain this is to find
out
> if there was a product that was known or available then that did the
same
> thing as the Motorola product. I have a copy of the Motorola
> specification and will get a copy to you.
>
> I suggest we inform each of our third party suppliers ASAP whose
products
> are likely to be effected by Motorola's patent, should it be
registered.
> I have prepared an email below in this regard.
> * Jason - can you please send it to Phone.com, Spyglass - Prism,
> Inktomi, Vignette and Microsoft.
> * Rowan - can you please send it to Kidz.Net and Internet Sheriff.

> * John - can you please send it to Network Appliance, Cache-Flow,

> Cisco caches, ,
> * Rino - can you please send it to Schools.Net.
>
> "We wish to inform you that Motorola has filed an application in
Australia
> to register a patent known as "Proxy Host Computer and Method for
> Accessing and Retrieving Information between a Browser and a Proxy",
> Australian Patent Application No. 714951 (58010/98). The application
has
> far reaching consequences AND THE LAST DAY TO FILE A NOTICE OF
OPPOSITION
> TO THE PATENT IS 4PM, 13 APRIL 2000 - AUSTRALIAN TIME.
>
> Motorola's application relates to an enhanced proxy server which
includes
> software modules that are able to parse TCP/IP queries and responses
based
> on selected filtering services. The filtering services selected
define
> the modification to be made and can be selected based on a number of
> techniques, including:
> (i) the proxy attachment point for a browser ie the actual port
number;
> (ii) the content and/or format of the browser query;
> (iii) the actual browser being used after querying a configuration
page;
> (iv) on submitting a complete configuration form to the proxy server.

> The modifications which the proxy server is able to make are
extensively
> described in the specification, with reference to a number of
examples.
> The queries may be modified so as to redirect queries to different
> information sources or to block queries. The responses may be
modified in
> a number of ways and these may effect the visual content of the
response
> and include links to parts of the content requested or include links
> other services. The modification of the responses is done to assist
> different types of browsers which may not be able to handle certain
types
> of content.
>
> Motorola's application includes a number of broad independent claims,
and
> if successfully registered, could mean that your technology could be
> considered to be infringing Motorola's patent, once registered.
>
> As stated above, we have been advised that the last date for filing a
> Notice of Opposition to Motorola's patent is close of business 13
April
> 2000 - Australian time. We understand that the form to oppose a
patent
> application is a pro-forma form which an Australian patent attorney
can
> put together relatively quickly. We are currently assessing whether
> instruct our patent attorneys to file a Notice of Opposition on behalf
of
> Telstra. If you decide to oppose Motorola's application, I suggest
you
> seek independent advice from an Australian patent attorney. For your
> assistance, attached is a document setting out Australian patent
> opposition procedures.

attached mail follows:

K.DEEPAK wrote:

> can anyone help me by answering out my queries.

You have to show some patience if you want to get help.

> Can anyone tell me how to modify the access.log file in the
> /var/spool/squid/access.log location so that the access.log
> even logs the time . Presently my access.log file says
> something like this :

RTFM: squid.conf and the Squid FAQ. It is described in detail there.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker