Re: Squid NTLM authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:09:48 +0200

Eric Stern wrote:

> NTLM authentication is on my list of things to do as well. It might even be
> next, once I get this code to support transparent caching on NT finished.

Good. Andy does need some help to finish it up.

> I did a quick bit of research on it a while back, it looks like it won't be
> too hard to rip out the relevant bits of Samba and cram it into an auth
> module.

We already have all of that in the NTLM proxy_auth module.

Current state of the NTLM HTTP proxy authentication om Squid:

1. There is a problem wiht request entities (PUT/POST). NTLM requires
persistent connections, but Squid's current request processing isn't
very good at identifying and handling these.

2. It currently only looks at the username. No verification is yet
performed to a domain controller. Most/all of the code needed to do the
verification are already available in the MSNT proxy_auth module I
think. To built a proxy_auth module for NTLM HTTP authentication
persistency between a proxy_auth helper and a client connection is
needed.

/Henrik