Re: Time to commit some stuff to the CVS repository

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:24:29 -0600

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Squid-2.3.STABLE1: strict ip_authenticate_ttl option
> Changed ip_authenticate_ttl to have an strict option, enforcing that the
> user comes from one IP address only.
> (not exacly this patch, but a slight variation of it using a on/off
> directive instead of negative TTL value)

okay. You mean 'authenticate_ip_ttl'. So the timeout goes away?
If so, "ttl" probably doesn't make much sense any more.

> Squid-2.3.STABLE1: Handle NULL characters in the server reply headers
> Squid failed to detect the end of the servers HTTP headers if the server
> wronly responds with headers containing a NULL character. This could
> cause abnormal amount of used cache_mem during the request. (the server
> in question was mp3 streaming, virtuallu unlimited in size)
>
> Squid-2.2.STABLE5: Persistent POST's blocking memory
> Persistent POST requests could block quite a bit of memory by not
> releasing request state data until the client connection was closed.
>
> Squid-2.3.STABLE1: icons and auth_modules/SMB object directory
> Installation of icons and auth_modules/SMB failed if building in a
> separate object directory outside the sources.
>
> Squid-2.3.STABLE1: myport and redirector_access
> Added support for myport ACL to redirector_access

thats probably committed already.

> [...]
> directory listing. Main purpose is to make sure all information is
> available when a login is denied due to to many users or a closed
> mirror.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: Configurable DNS retransmission interval
> Added squid.conf parameters for DNS retransmissions.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: Reset "round-robin" counters every 5 minutes
> Reset "round-robin" peer selection counters every 5 minutes to speed up
> recovery when a dead peer has come on line again ("round-robin" is
> implemented by "least-frequently-used", which without this patch gets
> stronly biased to the previously dead peer).
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: httpd_accel_single_host
> Added simplified support for running Squid as a accelerator in front of
> a single server with multiple domains/sites.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: FTP log level adjustment for ignored "errors"
> Use log level 3 on ignored read-"errors" like EAGAIN (was 1).
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: Range request could cause bandwidth spikes
> Range requests to servers/objects not supporting range requests could
> cause bandwidth spikes and/or negative hit ratio.
>
> Squid-2.2.DEVEL3: The last aclDomainCompare bugs squeezed
> This patch fixes some remaining aclDomainCompare issues where Squid gave
> more "is a subdomain of" warnings than it needed to.
>
> Squid-2.2.STABLE5: ipc hello test fails on some platforms/compilers
> A missing \0 string terminator could on some platforms/compilers cause
> squid to fail the hello test used when starting child processes.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL2: ProgrammersGuide PS output to file, not printer
> Send Programming-Guide postscript format to the intended destination
> file instead of directly to the printer (or whatever configuered as
> default output for dvips)
>
> Squid-2.3.STABLE1: FreeBSD 3.3 statfs
> FreeBSD requires sys/mount.h for statfs().
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: HEAD and ftp://...
> Support HEAD ftp://.. requests without fetching the whole object.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL2: Purge ipcache on reload/PURGE
> Purge negatively cached ipcache entries on reload to allow end users to
> quickly purge sporious errors, and have the PURGE method also purge
> ipcache to allow the cache administrator to manually purge important
> entries on DNS updates.
>
> Squid-2.2.STABLE4: Include request in helper statistics
> Include the request sent in helper statistics to allow the administrator
> to find out why the helper processes are busy.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: Restart helpers when rotating logs
> Restart helper processes when rotating logs, to have cache.log properly
> rotated.
>
> Squid-2.2.STABLE4: helpers and open filedescriptors
> Make sure all unneeded filedescriptors is properly closed when starting
> helper processes.
>
> Squid-2.3.STABLE1: Delay pid file removal until shutdown
> Delay removal of the pid file until Squid is fully shut down. This is to
> allow scripts to monitor the pid file waiting for Squid to shut down.

I think someone had a good reason why the pid file was removed
early. Such as in case it coredumps during the shutdown procedure.

> Squid-2.3.DEVEL2: Release unused store entries during rebuild
> Squid locked all "released" store entries in memory during the rebuild
> procedure, even such entries not needed in the "LateRelease" procedure.
> Also, during a dirty rebuild a lot of store entries got locked up which
> never was queued for "LateRelease", causing a huge memory leak.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL2: Free cache_mem objects during cache rebuild
> Squid locked objects in cache_mem to no apparent reason other than
> causing the cache_mem usage to grow huge during cache rebuilds.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: proxy_auth_regex and ident_regex ACL types
> This patch adds proxy_auth_regex and ident_regex ACL types
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL2: CONNECT was not under the control of miss_access
> Adds miss_access control to CONNECT method.
>
> Squid-2.3.STABLE1: Make no_cache a full-blown aclNBCheck
> no_cache was a fast ACL check, which serverely limits which acl types
> that can be reliably used. This patch extends it to a full blown
> aclNBCheck which allows all of the ACL types to be used like in
> http_access.
>
> Squid-2.3.DEVEL2: cache_swap_log name based on cache_dir name
> Allow %s to be used in cache_swap_log to build a log file name based on
> the cache_dir name instead of numbering the files according to their
> corresponding cache_dir location in squid.conf. This is very useful if
> you'd like to be able to add or remove cache directories while using
> cache_swap_log to have the index files stored outside the cache
> directories.
>
> Squid-2.2.STABLE4: Async-IO segfaults if AIO_PROPER_MUTEX isn't set
> Async-IO on Linux segfaults in condition variables if given high load
> and AIO_PROPER_MUTEX isn't set. This was seen on a SMP Alpha Linux
> 2.2.10-ac12 box. I knew there was a reason why I made the
> AIO_PROPER_MUTEX code a long time ago..
>
> Squid-2.2.STABLE5: Log destination IP on DIRECT
> This patch logs the destination IP as part of the hierarchy tag in
> access.log when going direct. This has been requested by a number of
> people from accounting reasons, and logging the hostname is mostly
> redundant as it is part of the URL as well.

This should be an option.