Re: Squid store replacement policies

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:09:26 -0600

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> * Get the next object in a walk/search
>
> entry = walker->next(walker);
>
> returns NULL when there is no more objects to return

Sounds sort of list-centric. Heaps don't really have a notion
of "next"? But its probably minor.

The way it works now for both types is we always take
the last entry in the list/heap. If its locked,
then it gets moved to the top.

> * Finish a walk/search, destroys walker.
>
> walker->done(walker);
>
> * Hint to the policy that an object is/has been referenced
>
> policy->referenced(policy, entry)
>
> First question is if there is any other hints a replacement policy needs
> to know? (other than the object info in StoreEntry, and access
> references)

I don't think the current ones use any additional information.

> I don't think LRU requires any other hints, but what about the heap
> based policies, and other ideas for interesting algorithms?

the heap code has this always-increasing age parameter, which I
dont particularly like, but its maintained internally.