Re: Squid store replacement policies

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:44:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> There are two kinds of walkers:
>
> a: Purge walkers. Always returns the first object purge, and removes it
> from the policy at the same time.
>
> b: Index walkers. These returns all objects in some order without
> removing them from the policy. The final API specification will probably
> read "returns objects in some order suitable for rebuilding the policy".
>
> The API is identical for both. Only the creation of the walker differs.

Shouldn't "index walker" return "read-only" objects? Sounds dangerous to
provide a write access to objects the order of which is not supposed to
be changed (from the walker point of view).

The latter would make API different for the two kinds of walkers, but
that actually may be a good thing! I can hardly imagine a reasonable
application that uses a "walker" without knowing whether that walker
modifies the store or not. Making walker "types" different may prevent
people from doing stupid things like searching for an object with a
"purge" walker.

$0.01,

Alex.