HTTP delta-encoding in squid - please help...

From: Dmitry Fink (aka FINiK) <c0466427@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:29:29 +0300 (IDT)

Hi, mighty squid developers!
I'm working on adding delta-encoding to squid (when the only thing that is
sent from the server to the squid is the diff between the new document on
server and the chached document in squid).
I am having a very hard time understaning the squid sources, and therefore
would be very happy if someone will answer my questions.

Here I go, please correct me, since I could be wrong...

First of all, it is clear that some new entry is needed in the StoreEntry
(my guess), which is some sort of TAG tht idntifies the version of the
cached document which will be sent to the server in the request.
Therefore, in httpBuildRequestHeader I should have access to this
information i.e have access to the data of the expired(old) version
of the document. Is it possible? How do I do that?

Then, when parsing the reply from the server, I need access to the
whole data of the old expired version of the document in order to apply
the patch on it. Again, the same question: do I have that kind of data on
this stage?
Or maybe when refresh is happening, the old version is deleted before
the new version is brought?

Thank you in advance,
you are all doing a great job with squid, I only wish there were
a little more internal and external code documentation, so I wouldn't
bother you with (probably) stupid questions.

                                Dmitry Fink
                                Technion - Computer Eng. Dept.