Re: concurrent requests?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:25:14 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Right, what clients actually do this? I guess if its there it should
> be implemented properly. :-P .. Is there a chance of someone actually
> tidying this up or can I just disable it totally for the time being ?

Internet Explorer sometimes does pipelining I think.

Other than this it is mostly batch tools.

pipelining certainly deserves to be implemented properly. It is very
important for HTTP performance over high latency links. What is properly
in this case I don't know. Note that blindly doing pipelining from a
proxy is not the proper way here. Actually, what Squid is doing is quite
close to being the proper way but it is or at least have been quite
error prone internally and somewhat sub-optimal..

One quite related thing which is certainly not done in the proper way is
Squid's retrial of failed requests. Squid is way to eager to retry
failed requests while much of this responsibility should be put on the
originating user agent. Also, it is a bit careless when selecting a
connection to send a request on in the first place (over optimized
selection)..

/Henrik