Re: concurrent requests?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:22:16 +0200

Dancer Vesperman wrote:

> I agree that pipelining is probably A Good Thing(tm), but in order to reach
> it's peak performance you really also want to do chunked-encoding and chunk
> interleaving. That more or less means having a connection mux/demux layer,
> between the core app and the wire.

Interleaving also requires support at both ends. We have to play by the
rules of HTTP here, and it does not have chunk interleaving, only serial
pipelining.

I see the benefit of such approaches (chunk interleaving) in
proxy<->proxy connections, but I don't see much of a benefit in
browser<->proxy or proxy<->server connections except for possibly
perceived latency when loading a page with large images.. (the total
download time is still the same).

/Henrik