Re: html prefetching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 00:05:32 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> I believe that assumtion that tags found in html would be
> fetched shortly has very high probability of being true.
>
> What thoughts you have about hacking such feature into squid?

Basically don't like it.

However, some measurements are acceptable I think:

a) Making sure the destination host is known (DNS lookup)

b) Make sure there is a connection ready to handle the request when (if)
it arrives. But watch out for initial request timeouts...

I don't think prefetching of the actual objects is a good idea, and
certainly not in doing it in quick parallell bursts. Doing so only adds
to the overall overload of the networks. I.e. you gain some benefit at
the cost of all others. Evil greedines.

/Henrik