Re: html prefetching

From: David Luyer <david_luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:04:42 +1000

> I'll add another footnote here. All the cacheflow installations I know have this
> feature turned off. (No offense to the CacheFlow salesbots who've been bugging
> me for the last couple months)

I know a number of places (ourselves included) where they have trialled a
CacheFlow and had so many complaints and threats to firewall as a result of the
pre-fetch madness during an evaluation period that they have just said "there
is no way in hell we're having one of those in our network". They kept coming
up with "fixes" for it, we kept getting complaints from angry webmasters, we
told them what we thought of their box.

A pre-fetch has no way to know what link might be "expensive" to follow in
terms of resources of the site it is looking at.

David.

David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>