Re: 2.4 doesn't build with make -j 2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:43:53 +0200

Duane Wessels wrote:

> I installed GNU make, and GNU make always compiles correctly. But I think GNU
> make isn't parallelizing the compile for some reason:

On some platforms it wont. GNU make will never spawn more than -j build
commands in total, even when there are sub-tree make processes runnin.
If it cannot communicate between the make processes (no idea how that is
done) then it will limit each sub-tree make to -j 1.

It does make parallell builds on platforms where this communication is
supported (such as Linux). Tried with -j 10 and it did indeed make 10
gcc in parallel, and within sub directories where possible.

/Henrik