Re: (Fwd) Re: --enable-time-hack

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 19:04:00 +0800

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2000, at 21:58, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 04, 2000, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
> > >
> > > --enable-time-hack option is broken and mostly useless.
> >
> > Hrm. That makes sense. How about you throw together a patch and if we're
> > all in rough agreement (ie noone says anything bad) I'll look at committing
> > it.
>
> Maybe we should make ALARM_UPDATES_TIME define as a default. Maybe we could
> enclose ALARM_UPDATES_TIME between #if USE_ASYNC_IO in comm*.c
> But I really don't see any point in current implemenation in comm*.c.
> To make an ideal one would take some effort. Is it worth it? gettimeofday()
> should be a fast call these days. It shouldn't even call kernel.

Hrm. What would use the current time? Would be enough to update it once
at the beginning of the select loop? Or is the fact that the select loop
could take more than one second to execute might throw things off?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"If a butterfly flaps its wings in China,
<adrian@creative.net.au>	    will a women get naked in Amsterdam?"