Re: (Fwd) Re: --enable-time-hack

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:12:05 +0200

On 8 Sep 2000, at 0:27, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:

> > I am quite worried about CPU usage of squid. My P3-800 box is doing about
> > 100-150 reqs/sec and its CPU is very loaded. I can't see or find the
> > source of CPU burning, gprof or other profiling tools are of little help,
> > they all have only 10ms precision. I wonder if it makes sense to design
> > a macro that could measure any func with very small overhead and very high
> > precision. Solaris has got gethrtime() which returns nanosec time with
> > CPU clocktick precision. It consults on-CPU counter. Most popular platforms
> > do have something similar. It would be very useful to have cachemgr return
> > stats table that shows where most of the CPU is burned. Then we could
> > much better understand what needs more optimisation.
>
> There are many, MANY places where CPU burn can be fixed. Try profiling
> a kernel running squid - you'll see most of its time spent handling poll().

 Hey, but what about moving poll itself into a separate thread?
 What about moving HTTP, ICP, DNS socket polling into a separate thread,
 and calling aiocheckcallbacks to get notifications back to main thread?

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn,