Re: Helpers idea

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:56:09 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> I presume you mean you do stop accepting new http requests?
> There are two essential problems with that
> 1. Existing persistent connections can still make requests. In the event
> of a request, a helper may be called (i.e. a DNS lookup may be needed
> (->so the dns helper gets called). (And yes I know about internal dns
> :-]). So a fixed limit on helpers is still problematical.

For the DNS helper I have changed the limit to be only a quque limit,
not a fatal condition. So instead of crashing it now returns "Temporary
network overload".

> I think a better approach than skipping accept() would be stop listening
> in the event that everything has crashed and burnt.. that way there will
> be no time out, the users machine will know immediately they can't get
> thru and their .pac script can switch proxies (or whatever their fall
> back is - ring the admin etc etc)

True, but configurable. If this is the only proxy and no PAC scripts are
used then you most likely want to continue accept requests to process
what you can, and error on the requests you know you can't service
within a reasonable timeframe.

--
Henrik Nordstrom