Re: Some optimisations

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:51:15 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> perhaps we'd want to add xvalloc to util.c and use it for disk
> buffers? What about network buffers?

AFAIK all OS:es I know always copies data in/out of socket buffers.
Sockets are using a very different design than disk I/O, and are not at
all using the paging mechanisms of the VM subsystem in UNIX:es. This is
probably because the sockets buffers is actually holding the data, and
are not a shadow of a real data location like disk buffers are.. (odd
shadows.. often being more current than the true one, but..)

/Henrik