Re: Future squid development

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 06:13:12 +0800

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2000, at 8:58, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se> wrote:
> >
> > My goal HEAD should stay reasonably stable, but will quite likely be
> > somewhat less stable than the latest STABLE branch. HEAD is not bleeding
> > edge developments.
>
> What is reasonably stable? how many "crashes per million" requests? ;)
> For me reasonably stable is usable on a production box, because this
> the only place I'm using Squid.
> HEAD can be and is reasonably stable since branching from STABLE tree
> up until first DEVEL branch is merged into HEAD. Since that point
> claim "reasonably stable" isn't warranted until tested in numerous
> production environments. And as noone really uses HEAD in production,
> this stability claim is left unwarranted until next major release.
> I personally don't believe that HEAD can be made reasonably stable.
> Reasonably stable and creatively progressing development tend to be
> mutually exclusive. ;)

.. since I'm slowly building up my own squid development environment
at home I can NEARLY run lengthy polygraph tests (my problem is that
because I'm also a FreeBSD developer, my 'polygraph' box(en) are my
desktop machine and my FreeBSD-current crashbox, and so they're not
exactly great candidates :-) . I'd also prefer to have access to a
Solaris 7/8 box and a permanent linux box in order to make sure things
get tested properly as there are a lot of neat things happening in
both OSes that I'd like to play with.

The trouble here is that I don't have positive feedback from many people.
Lately I've had feedback from andreas, henrik, duane and dancer about the
actual code stability and issues, and various developer feedback (benno,
various squidng related people) but the feedback from you guys is generally
not there. :-)

<EVANGELIST>

So, if you want HEAD to be more stable, run it at home like I do for your
local network, polygraph it every so often, and then its stability problems
will become shorter-lived! :-)

</EVANGELIST>

adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"If a butterfly flaps its wings in China,
<adrian@creative.net.au>	    will a woman get naked in Amsterdam?"