Re: what is squidng

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:43:16 -0500

"Chemolli Francesco (USI)" wrote:

> > I found the reiserfs discussions interesting not from a
> > reiserfs perspective
> > but from the buffer cache/syscall interface/disk layout perspective.
> > Personally, I still think a much simpler FS would suffice but
> > since I'm busy
> > improving the *REST* of squid so a fast FS would be useful,
> > I'm not going
> > to complain about other peoples work.. :-)
>
> If we're crazy enough, we could just as well design
> our own filesystem, to be used on raw devices a la
> Oracle (or most other DB engines)...
> Linux's upcoming Tux2 filesystem seems quite cool as far as
> consistency goes, and maybe it could be used as a basis.
> But I'm daydreaming...

Hans Reiser has made some pretty convincing arguments in favor of the
tree based structure of ReiserFS. The packing code is already in place
in the form of tail packing...all it needs now is locality with
intelligence (plus some other stuff that Hans talked about in a thread
on SquidNG which I'll dig up and forward here).

The only negative of moving forward with ReiserFS as a Squid object
store, is that we sometimes have to wait for things in ReiserFS, as they
have to answer both the general case, and the Squid case. So some of
the things that Squid desperately needs for a fast filesystem won't be
able to be done in the current ReiserFS...but in Reiser4, which begins
devel relatively soon, I hope. The benefit, however, is that we get the
help of an entire team (a seemingly ever growing team, at that) of
coders to find bugs and work out how things should work.

Then again, a SquidFS could be somewhat simpler...thus requiring less
eyes and hands to make it work well and stable. Really, if I hadn't
seen Sizif produce a really great raw interface and some nice
optimizations in a matter of a couple of months, I would have probably
come down on the side of a dedicated SquidFS rather than a general
purpose one with modifications...but I have seen it, so I'm pulling for
a Reiser-based Squid object store.
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances