RE: Re-checking disk cache

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:27:34 +0200

> > And then some more: I'm using Linux, and I'm an happy
> > diskd user. I've heard voices of aufs being potentially faster
> > on Linux, but I can't use it, the SIGUSR* would be
> > lost and I _need_ logfile rotation.
> > How hard would it be to implement some other scriptable
> > control interface? For instance, a named pipe would be
> > quite OK with squid's overall model, and it would cost only
> > one FD.
>
> Uhm, you mean a control channel to do logfile rotation? Hrm. I think
> that might be a candidate for a cachemgr + acl option. Look t adding
> a cachemgr option to do it, it can't be that difficult (look at the
> code that toggles the offline mode to see how to implement
> the cachemgr
> interface) and send patches to -HEAD this way.

Not only logfile rotation, but just basically anything that
can be done to squid via signals nowadays, and them some more.

cachemgr is fine, but it's not scriptable. Not easily at least.
Now let's suppose that we designed a tiny protocol that worked like this:

one command per line (commands are terminated by lf, cr is ignored).
Each command has to be prefixed by the correct cachemgr (or another)
password.
Commands are basically wordlists.
Commands are read from a socket, for instance /var/run/squidctl

To logrotate from a script, you just
echo "foo logrotate" >/var/run/squidctl

To shutdown
echo "foo shutdown" >/var/run/squidctl

Two levels of permissions checking: the permissions on the
socket, AND knowledge of the admin password.

squid -k whatever could be redone to use this interface.

--
	/kinkie