memory watermarks ?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:47:36 +0800

Hey,

I must be blind, but I can't find the memory low/hi watermarks in squid-cvs
right now, which caused a little confusing.

What is happening in a nutshell is that memory is only being reclaimed once
a second in storeGetMemSpace(), and its only reclaiming enough memory pages
for that one given call rather than dropping memory usage further. So,
under high load you can hit memory use peaks much, much higher than cache_mem.
This was noticed firstly in commloops when I upped SM_PAGE_SIZE to 64k and
quickly ran out of RAM when hitting the cache with load (200req/sec).

Memory freeing USED to occur also in storeSwapOut() but if you have
maximum_object_size_in_memory set to something high (say 64k) memory
won't be aggressively freed there.

I always thought there was a lo/high watermark but I can't find it in
cache.cf . Can someone enlighten me with either sight to my blindless,
or give me some suggestions? I can think of some magic myself to do,
but I want to see if anyone else has any bright ideas . ;-)

Thanks

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"It was then that I knew that I wouldn't
<adrian@creative.net.au>	    die, as a doctor wouldn't fart in front