bugs in squid -k shutdown

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:07:38 +0200

A problem I've often found (with SQUID-2.4NTLM) is that
on squid -k shutdown, not always squid shuts down.

Especially when busy, the effect is more likely to be
a restart, with a dirty swap.state in the process.

Here is a possible explanation on what's happening.
I haven't checked the code thoroughly, but this
might be the reason.

When a shutdown-request is received, squid immediately
closes all service FDs (DNS, authenticators, redirectors,
everything) BUT it keeps HTTP connections alive to finish
servicing active request.
Mix with keep-alive and BAMF! a new request comes in,
squid tries to DNS-lookup or authenticate and here's a
shiny new fatal error. Squid dies horribly, and is restarted
by the parent process.

I'm trying to fix it by moving all the Shutdown()
calls in the main loop save for serverConnectionsClose()
to SquidShutdown, but this might be a suboptimal solution
(if it's a solution at all).

Anybody having the same experience?
Any hints on how to better solve this?

Thanks