Re: updating squidng ?

From: Moez Mahfoudh <moez.mahfoudh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:52:59 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Run multiple "independent" Squid processes, all using the same backend
> store. The only thing the processes share is
> a) The backend store
> b) The listening socket
> c) Some IPC mechanism for sharing the accept() load

Sharing the same listening socket can be a serious bootleneck for most UNIX
systems. To my mind, it is recommended to have a process listening to
requests and who is the unique owner of the listening socket. This process
will dispatch the work to a set of other processes which will send the
requested objects.
We must not also use heavily IPC mechanisms as they can lower performance
even in SMP computers (some implementations of IPC need to halt all the
processors while accessing to a semaphore for example).

--Moez