Re: MemPools rewrite

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:34:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> While thinking of ways to optimise memPools I started to write down how
> its done today and how it could look like. While doing so I came to one
> solution, and as it was quite simple to convert my notes for a general
> description I thought I would through it to squid-dev for review.

Your design is actually very close to the initial mempool design that
was killed (for various reasons) before it was committed to Squid source
tree :). I just want to note that you must be careful when giving out
objects from a chunk -- some objects on some OSes require 8-byte,
16-byte, and other special alignments. It is possible to guarantee
alignment within chunks, but we must not forget that gotcha while chunk
handling is optimized. Standard malloc always returns memory with
"maximum alignment" required, of course.

$0.02,

Alex.