RE: MemPools rewrite

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:00:09 +0200

> > my 20c : it's easier to get more memory than more cpu - given
> > our effective single cpu limit at the moment.

 In regards to CPU efficiency with malloc I think we'd get better
 results if we reduce malloc/free rate per request. Currently we
 do about 120 mallocs and 120 frees per each request, and consume
 about 1-2% of CPU in total for that. Not much, considering rate.

 For the defence of memory-efficiency I'd say it's easier to get
 lots of GB of disk than it is to get RAM for supporting that.
 Large disks are cheap, and squid is eating memory like hell.
 This is limiting us in usable disk size quite alot already now.

 Although I agree that CPU is also very precious.
 In this regard, highres timings show that dlmalloc is faster than
 even current memPools on average. So memPools are not a win in CPU,
 at least not directly. Maybe without memPools dlmalloc would have
 higher overhead, not sure.

On 19 Oct 2000, at 11:35, Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@GruppoCredit.it> wrote:

> My LIT 10 (0.5c): it would be however be nice if some
> big structures (say, the disk cache index) were somehow mmapped.

 if you mean to use mmap for malloc, then this can be done. If you
 mean to have mmaped file backing store for Store db, then this is
 not so good idea, afaik.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708