RE: [SQU] win2k-squid problem

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:04:58 +1100

Hi Dana,

Could you please keep your replies cc:d to the list? Thanks.

Oops: it should be off. Squid is not HTTP/1.1 compliant and that option
causes problems.

> couldn't find that exactly
> did find "use http/1.1 through proxy connections" I turned that on
> and tried the cache again.
> actually I was using another computer using Redhat6.2 Linux
> and Netscape to
> test the cache before. When I tested the local browser on
> the local cache,
> I found it worked better than the non-local browser,(I wasn't
> limited to
> about 10 objects) but all the cache misses were very slow.
> Cache hits were
> fast.
>
> Unfortunately I'm new to cygwin (and relatively new to Linux)
> so getting all
> these things working properly might be more than I bargained
> for. Rereading
> your instructions on your webpage. I realize I didn't follow
> them too
> closely. For instance I didn't have Bind going, I didn't
> have Autoconf,
> couldn't find Autohead, and for some reason getting these
> things to work
> properly on my computer was alot of trouble so I just went ahead and
> compiled the Squid. (I did have perl downloaded, which
> seemed to be the
> bare minimum required from your instructions)
> Well It sort of worked. It compiled and it sort of ran.
> But it is very very slow.

You have got an old version of it - those issues have been (AFAIK)
resolved.

> I don't really have any more time right now to go through the
> learning curve
> to get it all going properly. But perhaps in a week I'll
> come back fresh to
> this and get the latest version going.

That's fine with me. I'll be here :-]

> Just a couple of questions, If I might.
> Is your squid for windows stable?
Yes.
> Does it work well?
Yes.
> What sort of request rates is it capable of handling?
Well I only have a 64kb line to play with just now :-[ but I saturate
that at linespeed thru squid quite happily. I use delay pools as well.
>What kind of changes were required to get it working on Windows. Just
curious.
Mainly low level i/o issues - Cygwin's environment didn't support all
the io flags to get non-blocking i/o, so squid would stop until a
request was satisfied or a new request came in and interrupted the
waiting read() or write() call. A few minor changes to get it compiling
cleanly and additional checks in the configure scripts to prevent OS/2
or MSVC compilations getting in the way.

I recall one user had problems with win2k before they applied service
pack 1 - you might try that.

Also you need to get the new squid from the CVS server on sourceforge.
You want the HEAD version (cygwin support is now integrated into the
main squid codebase).

Rob