Re: Squid memory footprint (was: MemPools rewrite)

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:12:57 +0200

On 2 Nov 2000, at 16:09, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how can you eliminate StoreEntry? IMHO it contains crucial
> > information that allows squid to skip disk accesses. Moving parts
> > of this data into squidfs doesn't seem to change much in ram usage.
> > Moving this crucial information onto disks implies enormous performance
> > penalty, doesn't it?
>
> You are assuming the FS can't handle object reference / lock counts and
> freshness information itself. :-)

 I think I'm assuming that the FS needs to keep freshness data, and
 key->diskobject translations in ram, along with overhead for maintaining
 replacement policys (refcount, locks).
 Sure we can reduce amount of pointers per each object in store db, but
 unless we accept disk access penalty, we need to keep lots stuff per
 object in ram.
 I'm simply assuming that we move most of this stuff from StoreEntry db
 into FS metadata.
 Perhaps we can optimise out quite alot along the way, I hope.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn,