Re: Squid memory footprint (was: MemPools rewrite)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:58:49 +0100

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> I wonder how can you eliminate StoreEntry? IMHO it contains crucial
> information that allows squid to skip disk accesses. Moving parts
> of this data into squidfs doesn't seem to change much in ram usage.
> Moving this crucial information onto disks implies enormous performance
> penalty, doesn't it?

Enormous is perhaps a bit too strong word here. It very much depends on
the hit ratio on the fs meta data to be able to look up that a file does
not exists.

But yes, it is a penalty from not keeping a in-core index. But
fortunately it is a penalty that can be addressed.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker