Re: Squid memory footprint (was: MemPools rewrite)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 22:12:17 +0100

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> Imagine a setup: 10 caches, loadbalanced with L4 switch, seen as a
> single cache by clients. Each box takes 1/10th of the http load, but
> to avoid cache pollution when each cache contains about the same
> content, peering setup is needed between the caches, and ICP gives
> currently best results. Thus all caches will see 100% of request
> rate as ICP queries.

I don't think I would use ICP for such configurations. More likely I
would use intra-array CARP routing or a similar design to make sure
objects get cached at designated places, and then add some heuristics to
this for intentional cache duplication.. (pollution is the wrong word
here.. you get pollution when invalid content enters the cache)

/Henrik