Re: [mcmanus@appliedtheory.com: Re: Different web pages for different browser versions]

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:10:26 +1100

Yup.

Verified. :-] User-Agent is explicitly listed a header that can be used for
content decisions. If it is used
Vary: User-Agent
is the appropriate response to tell the cache what agents can see that
response.

Rob

rfc2616:
see 12.1
==
<!--StartFragment-->The Vary header field can be used to express the
parameters the
   server uses to select a representation that is subject to server-
   driven negotiation. See section 13.6 for use of the Vary header field
   by caches and section 14.44 for use of the Vary header field by
   servers.
==
13.6
==
<!--StartFragment-->
   A server SHOULD use the Vary header field to inform a cache of what
   request-header fields were used to select among multiple
   representations of a cacheable response subject to server-driven
   negotiation. The set of header fields named by the Vary field value
   is known as the "selecting" request-headers.

   When the cache receives a subsequent request whose Request-URI
   specifies one or more cache entries including a Vary header field,
   the cache MUST NOT use such a cache entry to construct a response to
   the new request unless all of the selecting request-headers present
   in the new request match the corresponding stored request-headers in
   the original request.
==