Re: squid IPv6 patch

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:50:54 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Roger Venning wrote:

> I also have a few questions for the guru's: do any recent systems
> use the internal DNS code in squid? Or could I presume that if your
> boxen have IPv6, then the system libraries will be used for gethostby*?

Internal DNS is preferred and the default. gethostby* should be
avoided IMO.

> On a similar note, I noticed the xmemcpy et.al wrappers, however
> I note that md5.c has a naked memcmp... so does this mean that
> everyone is using systems that don't have oddities like bcopy?

In my experience memcpy and friends are much more likely to
be present than bcopy et. al.

> Finally, do people have thoughts about the long term overhead of
> using IPv4 mapped (32 bytes IPv4 addr in 128 bit IPv6 storage
> location)... is it really an issue? I have seen code that throws
> around sockaddr_storage structures, which contains the address family,
> everywhere. This way that save just a few bytes at the cost of
> much more complexity...

I think "sockaddr_storage" would be my preference. Seems like
the other approach may waste a significant amount of memory
for things like the IP cache and the ICMP/netdb database.

Duane W.