Re: Storing partial responses

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:16:40 +0100

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> A similar question would be "where does the replacement policy fit?".
> I suspect that may have to be a part of the FS layer.

> One could argue that FS may benefit from knowing that two blobs belong
> to the same object.

a) You need some method of knowing which blobs you may have for a
object, and what they represent.

b) It must be decided if removal policy is performed on these blobs
individually, or on objects as a whole.

> On the other hand, FS could also benefit from
> knowing the relations between HTML container and embedded images, etc.
> So we would come back to our "keep it simple/smart" discussion.

Sure. Both ways ;-)

> suspect that eventually we might add a third parameter to the store
> interface:
> store(key, blob, related_to_keys)
> just to give some FSs additional hints for dataplacement while keeping
> the interface simple and abstract.

Actually I would like to have the store interface a bit more elaborate
than that. Currently we have two classes of object bits that we need to
deal with:

a) Data ranges (encoding of these is not relevant; ranges, chunks, or
whatever. Same thing)

b) Variants (collections of ranges)

All of these share a common key (the URL).

Both types needs to be able to handle additions where an additional data
range or variant is added to the URL.

I think removal policy should work at the level of variants. I don't
think it is practical to apply removal policies to individual data
ranges.

/Henrik