Re: a small contribution

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:54:13 +0800

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000, Joe Cooper wrote:

> > Neato. There's still a pending linux patch to make transparent proxying
> > work with netfilter in linux-2.4 .. I don't have a linux 2.4 box here
> > to test but the patch looks straightforward enough. That should also
> > go into HEAD and be MFCed into squid-2.4 before release.
>
> I thought the submitter had realized a few days ago that no patch was
> needed for netfilter (he had just left out an option in the squidl.conf)?
>
> I don't know, as I haven't experimented with transparent on 2.4, but I
> thought there was a message to that effect on the list. But I reserve
> the right to be wrong.

Well, I haven't checked my squid-users mail in the last few
days but from what I remember the patch makes transparent
proxying work whenever the HTTP request is a 1.0 request
(ie with no Host: header...)

With http/1.1 its a little easier because you have the Host: header
giving you the hostname.

If in any case someone wants to be really smart, they could initiate
the remote connection *before* the entire header set is read when
you're doing a transparent connection, but thats for Another Time.

adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Here's five for the cake, and
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  five to buy a clue."