Re: digest auth (rfc 2617)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:26:31 +0100

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > Well I thought I'd test out the auth scheme API's flexability and put digest auth into squid. Well it's going :-].
> >
> > I've used the reference implementation from rfc 2617. It's got no specific copyright on it - what's the appropriate thing to do
> > licence wise? Rewrite it? Publish it under the GPL with squid? ...

From my personal understanding of the copyright involved:

The code is covered by the RFC copyright, which says

   derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.

direct use of the code is a form of derivate, so I see no problem in
using the code provided you include the original copyright notice.

This should even be compatible with the GPL license I think. Their
copyright does not put any restrictions which conflict with GPL.

/Henrik