Re: PATCH: Cygwin: file mode support and ufs writecleanswap bugfix

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:08:16 +0100

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I don't meant to be evil, but I'm kind of curious now. Why is there
> a cygwin port when Romeo has done a port of squid to native NT?

Good question, especially considering that the cygwin port has some
issues mainly due to lack of proper non-blocking support in cygwin...
(think this only affects accept() now.. Robert should know more)

But the short answer is: A cygwin port is easy (almost a UNIX
environment), and the native port requires a Microsoft compiler and
quite extensive patching of Squid which is not yet in the
distribution...

Either way, any general problems the cygwin port sees will most likely
also be seen by the native port as well, except for the few that is
cygwin bugs/shortcomings rather than effects of the underlying OS.

/Henrik